- Degree in Science (B.S.) from Colorado A&M (now known as Colorado State University) in Applied Chemistry, 1954.
- Degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) from Baylor College of Dentistry (BCD), 1960.
- Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism, 1964.
- Practiced General Dentistry full-time from 1960-1964 and part-time from 1968-1995 in Mesquite and Dallas, Texas.
- Member of several local and national organizations during these time periods.
- Assistant Professor, 1968-72, Department of Microbiology.
- Associate Professor 1972-78, Department of Microbiology.
- Full Professor and Chairman of Department of Microbiology, 1978-1995.
- Professor Emeritus 1995- present.
He taught on the subjects of oral microbiology and biochemistry to dental, dental hygiene and graduate students at BCD in Dallas Texas. He also gave guest lectures to graduate students at Baylor University in Waco, Texas.
Research & Publications
He conducted studies on the microbiology of caries and of the various forms of periodontal disease that resulted in several publications as abstracts and peer-reviewed journals. More specifically, these research endeavors included experimentation with animals, clinical studies of humans, and in- vitro studies using selected strains of microorganisms believed to be the etiologic agents of these oral diseases. As an example of in-vitro research, his latest publication is “Phototoxicity of argon irradiation on biofilms of Porphyromons and Prevotella species ,” by Clay A. Henry, Barbara Dyer, Martin Wagner, Mel Judy, James L. Matthews; Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology; 34 (1996) 123-128.
He was awarded the rank of 2nd Lieutenant as a Reserve Commissioned Officer in the United States Army in 1954 and was assigned duty with as a Medical Service Officer in the Medical Battalion in the 9th Infantry Division in southern Germany.
In 1960, he became a member of the Army Reserve as a Dental Officer and thereafter, while on reserve and active duty status, he was stationed at various locations within the continental United States and abroad. In his last tour of active duty in 1991, he served in an Army General Hospital during Operation Desert Storm. He retired in 1992 as a Colonel. He has received several military awards during his military career, the last of which was the Legion of Merit.
Pertinent Personal Information
In 1932 he was born in Denver, Colorado. At the age of eight, he entered the Christian faith by baptism and was a member of several Baptist Churches during his early schooling. While he practiced general dentistry in the early sixties, he and his wife joined the First Presbyterian Church in Mesquite, Texas.
After attaining his Ph.D. at M.I.T., he returned to Texas in 1968 and rejoined his former church. Thereafter, he was an active choir member, served as a deacon and elder and taught an adult Sunday School Class. During this time period, he enrolled in several courses offered by the Lay Institute of the Dallas Theological Seminary.
He and his wife have three daughters and six grandchildren. Presently, he and Rose Marie reside in San Antonio, Texas.